Don’t Listen to the Future, Mask On

The best way to keep your friends and family safe right now is by wearing a mask and washing your hands. // Photo by pixpoetry on Unsplash.

John Dills, Contributing Writer

Do you remember wondering what 2020 held for you back in December of 2019? I do. I was searching for happiness, and not just a broad definition of happiness, but happiness within myself. I was going through a rough time during the holiday season, especially around New Years. I wish I had enjoyed the holiday season then because more than likely, we won’t get to enjoy it this year.

According to the Institute for Health and Metrics Evaluation, more than 900,000 lives have been taken by COVID-19 worldwide. I know people who have been personally affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. I know of people who have passed away from complications due to the virus. I know people who have contracted the virus and been bedridden. This virus affects those with underlying health conditions and the elderly the most. When I go into public, I always hope that I do not see one person without a mask. I cannot express this enough, but the pandemic isn’t over just because you’re over it.

As time goes on, I notice more and more people are turning into “anti-maskers.” I’ve not been able to wrap my mind around how someone can care so little about other people. How is the President of the United States not wearing a mask and telling his followers to not wear a mask? There are so many ways for us to stop the spread of COVID-19, but yet anti-maskers, including our president, don’t use them because it slightly inconveniences them. It has been said by the CDC that masks reduce the spread of COVID-19 by not allowing particles expelled by breathing, sneezing and coughing into the air as easily to help protect those around you.

Right now, a really popular advertisement is “Why do you wear a mask,” and this really puts my mind to work. I’m not at high risk if I contract COVID-19. I don’t have any underlying health conditions and I’m pretty young. I could not wear a mask, possibly contract COVID-19 and, in the long run, my health would be fine. So, why would I wear a mask? I work in the public, as well as go to a college with many other students. I could easily spread the virus by being in constant contact with people. I don’t wear a mask to protect myself, I wear my mask to protect other people who are at high risk during the pandemic.

The COVID-19 pandemic is not something to be taken lightly. Wearing a mask can save someone’s life other than your own. Social distance, wash your hands, wear a mask and, most importantly, have enough respect for others to try to keep them safe.