APRIL FOOLS: Piedmont Won’t Let Brett Loftis Graduate

Broadcaster Brett Loftis will be set to commentate for the Lions next year. // PHOTO BRETT LOFTIS

Brett Loftis, Magazine Editor

The Voice of the Piedmont Lions, Brett Loftis, is slated to graduate in May.  However, Piedmont University has recently informed Loftis and the student body that they will not allow this. 

“I was informed that I will not be able to graduate because Piedmont still wants me to be the ‘Voice of the Lions,’” said Loftis in a Thursday afternoon press conference. “I just want to graduate.  I have worked so hard over the past three years to graduate. Obviously I’m disappointed about the situation, but goodness gracious alive where else would I rather be?” 

Loftis, who is in his third season now broadcasting and working with the Piedmont Athletic Communications Department, is supposed to graduate in May with a degree in sports communications.  However, the Piedmont executive board wishes to hold Loftis back another year, at least, so that Loftis can continue to get more credit hours in the classroom, while also still broadcasting as a student worker. 

“I think Brett has a very bright future, but we are not ready to let him leave just yet,” said Dr. Joe Dennis, chair of the mass communications department. “Dr. Mellichamp and Coach Peeples were the ones to make the final judgment, but I told them that Brett should have to stay another year.  He has completed our course curriculum, but I know Piedmont Athletics could still use him as a broadcaster, and we can still use him as a student worker over here in Swanson.”

This story is part of The Roar’s annual, comprehensive April Fools coverage of Piedmont University.