Rants on Romance: Brett Loftis and Kaitlyn House

Brett Loftis, senior, and Kaitlyn House, junior, have been able to make their relationship work from long-distance with help from technology and social media. PHOTO//BRETT LOFTIS

Jaela Dodson, Features Editor

While most people like the idea of falling in love, a relationship requires a lot of time and effort. No matter the uncertainties of everyday life and distance apart, senior Brett Loftis and junior Kailtyn House have made the time and the effort to focus on the things that matter. 

Loftis and House met through mutual friends in the fall of 2020. Immediately, the two connected and became close friends, eventually progressing into a relationship. Despite only being together a year, the two know their connection is made to last forever. 

“She’s literally my best friend. Being with her is my favorite place to be, and I’m so thankful for the joy she brings to my life,” said Loftis, a senior sports communications major.

Loftis currently serves as the voice of Piedmont, being the play-by-play announcer for men’s and women’s soccer, basketball, baseball, and softball. His slogan — “Where else would you rather be?” — has become a famous catchphrase on campus. Lotis’ passion for sports broadcasting has guided him into numerous opportunities such as an internship with Golden Isles Broadcasting in Brunswick, GA. 

During the summer, while not at Piedmont, Loftis and House are four hours away from one another, making face-to-face communication tricky. After graduation in May 2022, Loftis will be moving to Wisconsin to be the play-by-play broadcaster for the Rapids Rafters Baseball organization in Wisconsin. The couple will soon be 13 hours away as House continues her final year of college beginning fall of 2022-2023. However, the long distance scares neither Loftis nor House. The two both feel their relationship will remain unsevered as they use a different form of communication. 

“We talk as much as possible, but nothing is better than being with each other,” said House, an early education major. “Sometimes being able to support each other through social media helps us feel closer being so far apart.”  

College students account for a large demographic of long-distance couples and social media users. College students in long-distance relationships may use social media to help stay connected to fulfill being far apart. Social media apps like Snapchat have become an excellent way for couples to maintain closeness by keeping tabs on each other’s day-to-day activities. Some individuals in long-distance relationships may post achievements or regular photos, and their partner will repost, comment, or like the post in support to show they’re connected. As long-distance relationships become more common, social media becomes an increasingly valuable role in strengthening or damaging relationships. In long-distance relationships, the distance between partners requires them to communicate electronically more frequently. 

Loftis and House plan to continue communicating more through text message, Facetime, and social media when Loftis moves to Wisconsin. Mediated communication becomes a vital maintenance tool for long-distance couples attempting to maintain their relationship. Long-distance relationships entail sacrifices, but the benefits of their relationship outweigh the costs. Participants in long-distance intimate relationships report higher levels of satisfaction, more positive reminiscences about their partner, and improved communication quality than those in close-proximity relationships.

Following House’s graduation in Spring 2023, the couple plans to get married and continue their future together. Because the two thrive on traditional quality time over mediated communication, Loftis and House feel their relationship will remain solid and meaningful with the help of technology and social media.