Softball Prepares for Another Winning Season

Karl Moore

Will the Lady Lions make their way back to the top of the conference? PHOTO KARL MOORE

Hailey Johnson, Sports Editor

After some well-earned time off, the Piedmont softball team is ready to get back on the pitch after a dominating season last year.

“This season will be pretty competitive,” said sophomore Lexi Chitwood. “We are lined up to play some highly ranked teams, but I know our team is up for the challenge and is ready to compete.”

Last season, the Lady Lions celebrated a spectacular year as they dominated conference play in the USA South conference. The Lady Lions finished out the season 25-13 overall and an impressive conference record of 12-2.

Eight of the Lady Lions earned all-conference accolades while five different Lions combined to take home 13 conference Athlete of the Week honors. Head coach, Terry Martin, was also recognized this past season as he was named conference Coach of the Year for the second time as a USA South member and the seventh time overall in his career at Piedmont.

“I am looking forward to how far we will go this season,” said Chitwood. “The freshman we have coming in will have a big impact on the team and will make our lineup stronger and our bats hotter. The pitching staff has gotten deeper and will help carry us through the season.”

Coach Martin has brought in seven strong freshmen this year to help the team make their way back to the top of the conference this season. The incoming class plays a variety of different positions which will help the team in places on the field they may need some extra strength.

The Lady Lions will start their season stepping out on the mound Feb. 19 at 2:30 p.m. at the Walker Athletic Complex.