Baseball Season Preview

Karl Moore

The Piedmont baseball team is prepared and ready to compete in their first season opener this week in the Jug.

Hailey Johnson, Sports Editor

The Piedmont baseball team is ready to start their journey back to the conference playoffs after a disappointing loss last season in the semifinals.

“I am very excited about this season,” says senior Carter Ballstadt. “We have a special team here with a lot of chemistry. Our seniors have all stepped up to be big leaders and our young guys are ready to compete.”

Ballstadt was a standout contributor for the team last season as he started in all 37 games in center field and had been given many recognitions from his performances including: ABCA/Rawlings Gold Glove Winner, D3baseball.com All-American Fourth Team, D3baseball.com All-South Region First Team, ABCA/Rawlings All-South Region Second Team, and All-USA South West Division First Team.

The Lions only made it to the first round in the USA South Tournament last season where they came up short in two rounds of play to the LaGrange Panthers.

“Coach Scali has done a great job preparing us for every possible situation and adversity we will face this season and I’m excited to get started,” said Ballstadt.

After a lot of hard work in the batting cages and on the field, the Lions are looking to make their way back to the USA South Tournament. Luckily, the Lions will have a lot of new talent to help contribute to the team this season as Coach Scali has brought in 18 new freshmen onto the team.

“I can’t wait for this upcoming season with this new group of guys,” said freshman Jake Garner. “I think we have a lot of potential this season and can see ourselves making it far into playoffs. I’m looking forward to pitching in my first collegiate baseball game and hope I can help contribute to the team in any way may need me.”

The Lions will open their season this Thursday on Feb. 10 at Loudermilk Field at 3 p.m.