Piedmont Battles Hard vs D1 School

Maria Allocco, Staff Writer

Clinton, S.C. – The Lady Lions basketball team battled back and fourth Wednesday night in Clinton, South Carolina to come up just short of a victory on the road. 

The Blue Hose offense was too much for the Lady Lions team, but they gained valuable experience that could help them in the long run in conference tournament time. The Piedmont women’s basketball team fought hard and didn’t give up until the final buzzer went off to come up short of a 86-64 loss.

Early on in the contest, it was an offensive game as to who could score off of transition points. The Lady Lions team rallied together with a 22 point second quarter to outscore Presbyterian 22-19. However, the Blue Hose offense was able to score 25 points in the third quarter to build a 23 point lead. 

Junior Colby Reed was on fire early for the Lady Lions team scoring 15 points and shooting 5-of-7 from the three point line. Graduate student Klaire Varney added 14 points converting on three three-pointers, and Hope Franklin added in 12 points.

This game was by far the best three point performance by the Lady Lions team connecting on 9-of-17 from behind the arc.

The Lady Lions will be off for the holidays, and will continue their play in Indiana to take part in the Amy Hasbrook Memorial Tournament, beginning Wednesday, Dec. 29 with a 4 p.m. tip-off against Franklin College.