Where the Lions Get Their Roar

Broadcaster Brett Loftis will be set to commentate for the Lions next year. // PHOTO BRETT LOFTIS

(Audio provided by Caden Nelms)

Connor Jelley, Staff Writer

Since he was eight years old, Brett Loftis knew his passion lay within the field of broadcasting.  

Loftis set foot on Piedmont’s campus in 2019 as a freshman and quickly made a name for himself. Within a short year he was referred to as “the voice of the Lions,” with his infectious enthusiasm generating rave reviews from parents and students alike.  

“It’s been great having Brett as our play-by-play commentator,” said Piedmont men’s basketball player Aaron Palmer. “He’s quickly become the voice of Piedmont athletics and has sparked energy throughout the department,” Palmer said.  

Loftis calls almost every sport here at Piedmont University, but baseball has always been his passion, as his broadcasts have propelled him to new heights.  

Last season, Piedmont baseball was in the middle of a defensive duel with Adrian College that would last 14 innings. One call during that game put Loftis on the map. It was a play that had many reminiscing about the 2020 World Series (game four) between the Los Angeles Dodgers and Tampa Bay Rays.  

“It reminded me of that Randy Arozarena play in game 4 of the World Series,” Loftis said. “I went bonkers because it was the first game back with fans and I just fed off that energy.”  

His famous call ended with a saying that now lives on in Piedmont athletics lore, “Goodness gracious alive, where else would you rather be?”  

After that game, Loftis received an incredible amount of love from players and parents of Piedmont athletics. Loftis did not know just yet how much notoriety he had gotten.  

“Danielle Percival, our sports information director, walks up to me and tells me I should check Twitter. And it had like 9,000 views, and ‘D3 Podcast’ shared it and talked about me on there,” Loftis explained.  

The excitement and electricity that Loftis calls the games with is infectious and has helped sparked interest among Piedmont student athletes.  

“Brett has been a huge addition to the Mane Event Broadcasting team for Piedmont baseball,” said Amy and Jeff Ballstadt, parents of senior outfielder Carter Ballstadt and former Lion standout Brady Ballstadt. “His broadcasts bring a great combination of player and team statistics, fun facts and explosive energetic play-by plays that engages both fans at home and in the stands.”  

As an athletic community that houses players from all over the country including states like California, Connecticut, Ohio and Indiana, Loftis’ love for the green and gold allows families to feel as if they are here at the Walker Athletic complex.  

“His enthusiasm and passion for the green and gold is palpable and provides a tangible feel to a broadcast which puts our home athletic events in the homes of families across the country,” head coach of Piedmont’s women’s soccer team, Timmy McCormack said. 

Loftis has left not only an impact here at Piedmont University, but also a legacy that will live on within the history of this institution. The Lions get their roar from the voice of Piedmont University athletics.