Welcome to Piedmont University

Sophomore biology major Maxwell Shaughnessy greets incoming freshmen with Leo the Lion at summer orientation. // PHOTO PIEDMONT UNIVERSITY INSTAGRAM

(Audio provided by Caden Nelms)

Matthew Kodrowski, Opinions Editor

Incoming freshmen from around the world have been attending Piedmont University’s 2021 orientations. These students will bring upon a new legacy as the institution starts its first official year as a university. These students bring promising potential into their fields and current students and faculty are excited to see what the next class of students will bring to the Piedmont community.

“I am most excited about having new people at Piedmont, new families and students meeting other students and having a good time,” says Gabriel Gutierrez, Financial Aid advisor at Piedmont University.

At orientation, incoming freshmen are given the opportunity to connect with their soon-to-be colleagues, as well as learn new things that will assist them in their college career. M.A.N.E. leaders, current students at Piedmont University, are assigned a group of students to mentor. M.A.N.E. groups provide students with the opportunity to learn from others who are currently living the college experience.

Sophomore biology major and M.A.N.E. leader Maxwell Shaughnessy says, “I’m excited to just meet the freshmen and just help them out wherever needed because I’m going to get to know them very well this year. I think I am most excited to meet the students and see them grow.”

The goal of Piedmont’s orientations, Welcome Week and the SAIL and M.A.N.E. programs is to make all incoming freshmen feel welcome at their new home away from home. Students may feel a little intimidated at first, but through community and interactive activities, they begin to feel more calm and ready for the next step in their lives.

After completing orientation, freshman art therapy major Chelsea Jordan said, “I was very nervous coming in, but going through everything, it really calmed my nerves. I was glad I got to excel in my communication skills and that I got a lot of my questions cleared up.”

To our incoming freshmen: on behalf of the faculty, staff and M.A.N.E. leaders at Piedmont University, welcome to the family!