Garrett’s Capstone Review: The Axe Armory

PHOTO+%2F%2F+UNSPLASH+

PHOTO // UNSPLASH

Garrett Stafford, Features Editor

Everyone has gone bowling, but if you want to try something new and exciting, try axe throwing! Axe throwing is a relatively new activity, as places have just started to pop up across the country over the last few years—and now downtown Cornelia has their very own axe throwing site right next to Bigg Daddys!

The Axe Armory has a great location right in the center of Cornelia, offering easy access whenever you want to go. The one and only drawback this place has is that it is only open on weekends. It is understandable why the owner would like to do this, since people have more free time on the weekends; however, this makes it difficult for many athletes on campus to go, who are typically away for sporting events every weekend.

The owner, Matt, is an extremely likable man who clearly has a love for axe throwing and is very good at it. When I went, my friends and I were the only ones there, so Matt let us use some tomahawks. These are like axes, but longer and have a thinner head of the blade. It was nice to feel like we were getting a unique experience, thanks to the owner wanting to show us a good time.

Our wallets were also happy because The Axe Armory offers a great student discount. bringing the cost to 15 dollars for a full hour of throwing. An hour seemed like more than enough time to learn how to throw effectively and to play all of the games a few times. It may have started to get slightly dull if we played more than an hour, and our arms probably would have started to get sore. So, an hour was the perfect amount of time to enjoy this experience.

Besides just trying to get bullseyes as much as possible, two games were set up for people to play: 21 and Tic-Tac-Toe. 21 was the better of the two, where each player gets points depending on how accurate they threw their axe, attempting to get to 21 points without going over. This game led to a lot of fun shenanigans between four very competitive guys. Tic-Tac-Toe was also a fun game, but it required a lot more skill to throw the axe accurately, which my friends and I did not possess.

The Axe Armory is a must-try if you are looking for a new thing to do one weekend. It is not meant for everyone, but it is worth trying at least once to find out. The owner is great, and the prices are even better, so step out of your comfort zone and try something new. This could be a fun date spot compared to the typical dinner and movie—try dinner and axe throwing, since Bigg Daddys is right next door!