Garrett’s Review: Fenders Diner

Garrett Stafford, Features Editor

Behind the “Big Red Apple,” Fenders Diner, the retro diner straight from the 50s, might be the most iconic place in downtown Cornelia. Fenders has the classic all-day breakfast you would expect at any diner, and of course, your burgers, sandwiches and milkshakes. Outside of your diner classics, Fenders does have some original meals like Hot Chicken ‘N Biscuits, ‘Slap Your Mamma’ Meatloaf Sandwich, ‘Southern La Bamba’ Quesadilla and the legendary boozy milkshakes. These iconic and original meals are all at a reasonable price of $7 – $13, a plate where you will be leaving the 50s with a full belly and a happy wallet.

The best dish at Fenders Diner is the grits; these grits are unlike any grits you have ever had or ever will have in your life. They are thick with a warm buttery flavor that will just melt in your mouth. The taste is almost indescribable because there is nothing quite like it. The only way to really experience this event in a bowl is to try it for yourself. These cannot be recommended enough; every bite will leave you racing back for another until you are disappointed at the sight of an empty bowl. Thankfully, Fenders has an all-day breakfast, so it does not matter what time in the day you show up; the grits will be waiting for you.

When you get to that empty bowl and finally look around, you will find yourself transported back to the 1950s. Baby pink and blue booths and chairs, checkerboard tile walls, and Elvis Presley posters everywhere, all create one of the most visually pleasing and fun restaurants you will go to. Outside, Fenders is unmissable, with sleek steel panel walls and bright neon signs. There is nowhere you can go in Cornelia without noticing Fenders. Out of all the restaurants in this review series, Fenders will take the cake as the best-looking place you can visit.

When college students think of diners to go to, Waffle House and Huddle House are probably the first to come to mind. Cheap, quick food at any hour of the day makes these places very hard to compete with. Unfortunately, Fenders cannot compete with the 24-hour service because they close at 8 p.m. or 9 p.m. every night depending on the night, but they do have good, cheap food. The food here is way better than at other diners in the area, so when students are thinking about a diner to go to, Fenders should be the first to come to mind.

Come to Fenders for a cute date spot or an inexpensive quality meal. Whatever your reason is, there is no excuse not to take a trip in the past for a fun time at Fenders Diner in Cornelia, Ga!