Piedmont Adjusts to Life Without Spring Break

The perfect beach getaway is the JW Marriott Marco Island resort in Naples, Florida, which many Piedmont students won’t experience with no spring break. // PHOTO CAMERON GRAHAM.

Cameron Graham, News Editor

On Oct.1, Piedmont College informed their students that their spring break would be removed, which left many students in shock. Instead of having a week off, students will have strategically placed no-class “reading periods” that will give students and faculty time to catch up on work or take a break if needed.

“I’m stressed and need at least a two-day break with nothing going on,” said senior sport & fitness administration major Demia Mitchell, speaking about her experience with no spring break. “It’s overwhelming not only in the classroom, but in sports as well.”

The majority of Piedmont students are involved in sports, which takes away their time to relax. Having that week off gives Piedmont students that fresh restart they need to complete the remaining weeks in the spring semester.

“I think everybody needs a break to finish the semester strong,” said Mitchell. “I appreciate the reading days, but they aren’t helpful enough because you still have to do homework.”

The reading periods are no different from a professor canceling a class, and with that free day, students are still completing school work. With that in mind, teachers are also trying to get ahead with grading papers or creating assignments on a day that’s supposed to be work-free.

“Better than I thought it would,” said Dale Van Cantfort, professor of mass communications. “The ‘lack of having a break’ may not hit me until after I finish giving and grading midterms.” 

Teachers typically use that week off to relax their minds from grading a plethora of papers. It might not seem like teachers have a large workload like students, but their work does drain them mentally.

“Tara and I were planning on going to see the Atlanta Braves play a spring training game or two in their new facility in Florida. That won’t happen this year, but as they say in baseball, ‘wait till next year,’” said Cantfort.

College semesters are long, which leaves many students and teachers burnt out. With the elimination of spring break, teachers have to sacrifice the free time that usually gives them a break from their long work hours.

“I understand Piedmont wants to keep the campus safe, but having that week off would refresh me mentally,” said junior criminal justice major Anthony Jordan.

Piedmonts students and faculty would enjoy a week of doing nothing to take their minds off their work. However, COVID-19 is still causing havoc globally, and Piedmont College wants to protect its campus from the deadly virus.

“I hope things get better before the next spring semester starts, said Jordan. “Having that week off helps everyone perform better academically and at their sporting events.”