CAB plans COVID-friendly events

CAB plans COVID-friendly events

Will Sargent, Staff Writer

From attending class virtually to wearing masks everywhere you go, the COVID-19 pandemic has affected everyone on campus.

However, keeping some sense of normalcy when it comes to student life is something that Zac Moore and the Campus Activities Board (CAB) have been trying to do. CAB is working this semester to plan “events for students, by students,” said Moore, coordinator of student activities, organizations and Greek life.

Taking into account Piedmont’s COVID-19 guidelines, CAB has had to think outside the box when it comes to planning activities. “It has been difficult, because we have had to look at our different events to make sure that they are accessible and also following all of the guidelines to have a safe, but fun event.” 

The focus is still on planning events to help give students a rest from their academic life. The first event of the semester was held on Jan. 21, as the Commons parking lot was transformed into an iceless ice skating rink.

The second event will be “Create-A-Critter,” held Thursday, Feb. 11 at the Commons Welcome Desk. Students will choose a doll and be able to stuff their own animal just in time for Valentine’s day. Students will be able to choose from various types of animals ranging from a dog, mammoth, llamas and penguins. 

Moore said CAB officers “have been very resilient” in their planning. “They have put in a lot of extra time and a lot of extra energy trying to plan events that fit into COVID guidelines. They have been very resilient to come up with new ideas and to make the events just as fun as they would have been without COVID restrictions.” 

Upcoming CAB events for spring 2021 (subject to change):

• Thursday, Feb. 11 — Create-A-Critter
  • Saturday, Feb. 20 — CAB Late Night
  • Monday, Feb. 22 — A Night of African American Excellence
  • Saturday, March 13 — CAB Late Night
  • Monday, April 5 — Sign Shop
  • Saturday, April 24 — CAB Formal