Safe Halloween

Piedmont College Campus Activities Board is putting on a spooky event for students to have a fun and safe Halloween

Nick Pope, Contributing Writer

This year’s Halloween will feature a full Blue Moon for the first time in years, and we’ll even get an extra hour of spooky Halloween fun on Oct. 31, as it will mark the end of daylight saving time. This Halloween will be unique due to COVID-19; the pandemic will provide obvious challenges for the festivities happening throughout the holiday weekend. 

Despite the challenges that this year has brought, we should not let COVID-19 ruin our dreams, memories, and force us all to be a lazy-bones. Here are some fun and creative ways to stay safe, local, and to have a spook-tacular evening despite this year’s unfortunate circumstances. 

One way to get involved on campus this Halloween is by attending Getman-Babcock hall on Oct. 31 as Piedmont Res-Life will be hosting a costume party from 5:30-11 p.m. Make sure to show up in only the best of costumes– I’ve heard the judges creep it real. 

Judges will be selecting the top three Best Overall Costumes for prizes. All costumes are welcome; this includes scary costumes, group costumes and even homemade costumes. The top three prizes are below, but everyone attending the event will be provided a small treat of candy. 

1st place = $25 Walmart gift card

2nd place = $10 Starbucks gift card

3rd place =  A candy of their choice

Students will also be able to submit images of their costumes via google form. Anyone can participate, and if you would like to get involved, visit: https://forms.gle/Np2LNPijxnN5TFpHA.

If the costumes aren’t getting your scare on, run over to the student commons and have skele-fun with Coordinator of Student Activities, Zac Moore, and the Campus Activities Board (CAB) in their event called “Late Night of Terror.” The event starts at eight and will continue until 11 p.m. 

Another interesting idea to include in your costume design this year is a mask. For the first time ever, the implementation of a mask in a costume is not an inconvenience, but an expectation. I witch you the best of luck in creating a unique and creative costume for this year’s contests. 

If going to costume contests and trick-or-treating are not your scream, Piedmont has added an abundance of scary movies to Res Life Cinemas, so make sure you wrap up like a mummy and enjoy some halloween classics. Students can find the movies for free at movies.piedmont.edu.

A late night scary movie is always a great way to get a party startled. After an exciting and fun-filled holiday on campus, be scareful, and make sure to leave all your boo’s at home as you enjoy the spookiest night of the year in the haunted dorms on Piedmont College’s campus.