Finding a Family: Dr. Perry Rettig 

Rettig leads parents in 2016 Freshman Orientation. // PHOTO Perry Rettig

Emma Marti, Opinions Editor

Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs Perry Rettig has been a part of the Piedmont community since 2013. Before the move, he has worked as a public school teacher, a principal and Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, just to name a few. 

Rettig got his undergraduate degree from the University of Wisconsin Whitewater, his masters from the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee and his doctorate from Marquette University in Milwaukee. In 2013, Rettig moved to Piedmont to be the Vice President for Academic Affairs. 

“I chose Piedmont College because of its family,” said Rettig. “My passion has always been to work with others in a liberal arts setting. The Piedmont family is that natural best fit. At graduation, I love watching the major professors and the families stand when each student’s name is called.”

Since moving to Piedmont, Rettig has served under many titled, such as the Interim Dean of the School of Nursing and Health Sciences, the Interim Dean of the School of Education, the Vice President of Athens Campus and the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs, the role that he has held for two years, this being his third. 

Serving this position has brought Rettig many different responsibilities and opportunities. For both Demorest and Athens campuses, he oversees Undergraduate Admissions, Graduate Admissions, Student Life, Student Services and the QEP. 

“So, on a daily basis, you will find me interacting with students and with staff in these areas,” Rettig said. “I see my primary role to connect people across units and divisions of the college for each of us to find success. I’m most proud of leading the creation of the QEP and the Center for Teaching and Learning. I very much like connecting the outside community with our Piedmont family.”

Rettig makes it a point to be involved in student life outside of the classroom. Pictured is Rettig helping a student tie dye for QEP. // PHOTO Perry Rettig

Most of the Piedmont community would agree, the college gives its community many great opportunities; Rettig is a firm believer in this. 

“My favorite opportunity is just that—opportunity. It is my greatest hope that every student takes full opportunity of every moment at Piedmont College. Your time here is too valuable to not embrace all the opportunities. It would be sad for any student to leave after graduating and say to themselves, ‘I wish I would have done that,’ or ‘spent more time doing this.’ Seize the day; seize the opportunity. Your time at Piedmont is the best time of your life to do just that,” said Rettig.

In order for students and faculty to make the most of their time at Piedmont, Rettig has this piece of advice.

“Enjoy your family,” said Rettig. “Give to each other. You will be better for it and so will they. Find your affinities, your connections and find that passion to always strive and to connect with others. Have fun; you are a Piedmont Lion for life!”