Board of Trustees Seek Diverse Future

With the student body expanding rapidly, Piedmont College wants a more diverse campus. PHOTO/ UNSPLASH

Cameron Graham, News Editor

Over the years, the student body of Piedmont College has become more diverse, bringing in a wide range of students from different backgrounds. However, historically this has not been the case amongst the faculty, staff and Board of Trustees. 

“One of my goals, since I became President in 2012, has been to increase the diversity of the college’s Board of Trustees,” said James F. Mellichamp, President of Piedmont College.

Having a goal like this is an enormous step for the College as underrepresented students typically do not see themselves represented in leadership positions at institutes of higher education. The increase in diversity can happen soon since there is a current need for new board members.

“At the October meeting of the Board of Trustees this fall, we will be proposing 3-4 new trustees for the board to consider appointing,” Mellichamp said, talking about new board members. “I believe, if things go as planned, you will see an even more dramatic increase in diversity come Nov. 1.”

Having a more diverse community here at Piedmont College could create a stronger connection between the students and faculty. Even though this sounds great, this task is not easy, especially finding the right person for Piedmont College.

“For faculty and staff, if things go well, we hope to keep them for a long period of time, so it takes longer, but we are committed to seeing diversity at Piedmont College,” said Daniel Silber, Senior Vice President and Provost of Academic Affairs at Piedmont College.

Students are coming from all over the world to Piedmont College. Bringing more diversity to the faculty will be a slow process, but the school is attempting to head in the right direction, and the administration hopes these changes will change the College for the better. 

“We are aware of the small diversity among faculty and certainly want to increase it,” said Mellichamp. “However, it takes more time to move to a greater direction of more diversity.”