The Lions Earn No.25 Spot

Piedmont’s baseball team plays at Piedmont’s Loudermilk Stadium PHOTO//Karl Moore

Hailey Johnson, Online and Social Media Editor

The Piedmont University baseball team has earned the No. 25 spot in the 2023 D3baseball.com/NBCWA poll for week two. 

A panel of 25 Sports Information Directors and media members from across the country vote for the Top 25 teams for D3baseball.com. Only full members of NCAA Division III are eligible and the poll is published weekly. 

“It’s definitely a testament to the work we’ve been putting in every day,” said sophomore Michael Thompson. “I’m happy to see the results are starting to come out this way, but it’s a long season and we need to stay focused on what’s in front of us. It was definitely a great accomplishment for us, though.”

Being ranked by D3baseball.com this year is the first time the Lions have been ranked since 2019, when they also earned the No. 25 spot in the poll. 

The Lions currently hold an overall record of 13-6. The impressive record helped the team gain the votes they needed to be voted into the top 25.

Some of Piedmont’s biggest competitors for the top-ranked spots include Birmingham-Southern, Salisbury, UW-Stevens Point, Baldwin Wallace and Eastern Connecticut, who all hold the top five spots on D3baseball.com. 

The Lions will continue to compete to keep their spot as No. 25 and, hopefully, see themselves climb to higher rankings later during their season.

The Lions will continue to compete and will begin conference play Mar. 23 at 7 p.m. against Belhaven University.