After the Play Ends: Stephanie Lamm

Stephanie Lamm – Photo creds: Emmanuel College photography and Karl Moore photography

Anya Olson, Staff Writer

Looking back at your college experience and remembering happy moments is a healthy way to reminisce about the past. For Stephanie Lamm, acknowledging her life as a collegiate athlete is essential to helping her move on from her playing days.

“I loved my college experience and I’m so glad I played in college,” said Stephanie Lamm. “With all of my positive memories, I couldn’t imagine doing anything different.”

Stephanie Lamm grew up playing soccer in Georgia after her parents decided they wanted her to play a team sport. Her love for soccer grew and Lamm’s athletic journey ultimately led her to play college soccer at Emmanuel College.

Lamm looks back with appreciation for her time playing college soccer with her team.

“There’s nothing that compares to my memories of my team,” said Lamm. “Holding onto those special moments of away trips and at games helps me remember what a great experience I had.”

Lamm recalls her favorite moments of playing college soccer and the friendships she made along the way. It is essential to remember that sports are meant to be fun and the time one spends on a team is precious.

“It’s easy to get wrapped up in the games and forget to have fun and be present with your team,” said Lamm.

During the season, it can be challenging to take a step back and realize the vital part of a collegiate sport is the relationships you develop. While one’s playing days won’t last forever, the memories and friendships made will last a lifetime.

“It was tough once I graduated college just to give soccer up,” said Lamm. “I was really holding on to it tightly and doing anything I could to stay close to the game.”

Lamm recalls her struggles after graduation and the experiences that led her to become a collegiate coach. Graduating and moving on from their sport may be more difficult for some.

“I’ve always said that if I could just do soccer for the rest of my life, I would be fine,” said Lamm. “And now I’m still connected to the sport and get to be in a team environment all the time.”

Lamm began coaching as a Rockford, Illinois, graduate assistant a few years ago. Fast forward to 2021, Lamm found her way back to Georgia as an assistant coach at Piedmont University.

“My favorite part is building those relationships and bonding with the team,” said Lamm. “Watching players succeed and develop themselves is so rewarding to me.”

Although Lamm is a retired collegiate athlete, she’s been able to stay connected to her sport through memories and her current career path. Now, Lamm is making new memories and relationships every day as a coach instead of a player.

No matter the retirement age, you can always hold onto the memories and friendships you developed as an athlete. Looking back at the past with fondness and acknowledging the great experience you had may help you move on from your sport.

To learn more about Stephanie Lamm’s journey, click the link to her YouTube Zoom series episode.

About the author

Anya Olson is a senior mass communications student in her final semester. For her capstone she has created a Zoom series titled “After the Play Ends: Hanging the Cleats up”. Every week Anya interviews retired athletes and discusses the struggles they’ve faced after their sport ends. “After the Play Ends” is intended to be used as a resource for current athletes who may be struggling with similar topics. For full Zoom series episodes visit this link. For more information on Anya’s capstone check out her capstone Instagram @anyamariemedia