Croy arrives at Piedmont to ‘help students succeed’

Jason Croy, Director of Student Life and Leadership. PHOTO// www.piedmont.edu

Sophie Haines, Contributing Writer

With 20 years of experience in higher education, Jason Croy is excited for the years to come at Piedmont University.

Croy embarked on his Piedmont journey on Nov. 1, 2022, as the Director of Student Life and Leadership. This position includes overseeing clubs and organizations, new student orientation, Greek life, general student activities and more. Despite full hands, he has big goals for the future of Piedmont student life.

Croy found his passion for student life during his junior year at Emmanuel College. After being approached by the Dean of Students at his institution, he was asked if he would be interested in pursuing a career in student affairs.

“I don’t know why I never thought of pursuing this job before then,” Croy said. “I loved learning about student government theory. I loved putting together programming and events intending to impact student learning. It all just made sense.”

While at Emmanual College, Croy wore many hats, from college counselor to Vice President of Student Life. He believes this experience has given him the tools to further impact student success. In order to succeed in a university, he encourages students to follow these three steps:

1. Take advantage of tutoring and disability services;
  2. Find support in the campus support network; and
  3. Develop relationships with faculty.

“My role is so important in my eyes,” says Croy. “Through my lens, I know having contact with a club advisor or faculty member is accomplishing one of those three things I encourage for students to help them succeed.”

In three months, Croy is already making connections with students, such as sophomore Mo Cooper. Cooper has been working with Croy as the head of events coordinator.

“Within a week, he was like family,” said Cooper. “He is extremely kind and knowledgeable and a perfect asset to the team.”

Croy is an advocate for the student’s voice on campus. Finding their interests and helping them make a difference.

“In everything I am involved in, the goal is to increase efficiency and effectiveness in what we do,” said Croy. “I want to ensure that the events and services we are providing are impacting student life and development.”