Piedmont Sports Wrap-Up: Oct. 25, 2022

Senior midfielder Anya Olson looks to make a pass. Olson finished the regular season with 2 goals and 4 assists for the Lady Lions. PHOTO // KARL MOORE

Women’s Soccer

The Lady Lions ended an impressive regular season campaign on Oct. 24 with a 2-0 win over Asbury University in Wilmore, Kentucky, to finish the season 10-5-2 (5-1-1 in the CCS).

After being on the field for more than 20 minuets with the score 0-0, senior Kaylee King wasted no time securing the first goal for Piedmont after only being on the field for 3 minutes. In the second half, sophomore Victoria Sierra scored in the 62nd minute en route to the 2-0 victory. Freshman goalkeeper Maggie Leger had 7 saves to preserve the shutout.

“We were super excited to get 10 wins in the season,” said Senior Anya Olson. “We’d travel a long way and knew we needed to perform. We all worked hard and had a lot of chances on goal. We put away some really good goals to finish off the game. We’re really excited for this weekend and our first conference tournament game at home.”

After wrapping up the regular season in first place in the CCS, the Lady Lions locked up home field advantage throughout the CCS tournament. Piedmont will host Agnes Scott College on Oct. 29 at 2 p.m. in the quarterfinal round of the tournament.

—Silas Sandles

Men’s Golf

The men’s golf team concluded their fall season Oct. 16-18 with an impressive 4th place finish (out of 20 teams) at the Golfweek Division III Fall Invitational in Sandestin, Florida. 

With a team score of 290, the Lions jumped three spots ahead on the final day playing its best golf of the event. 

“I think the team did very well; we beat a lot of top-ranked teams and everyone on the team contributed to the success,” said Junior Josh Hebrink.

Senior Fred Roberts IV helped pace the lions finishing with 1-under 70 en route to moving into the top 10 after posting a second under-par round of the tournament. With a 9th place finish at the Invitational (out of 120 golfers), Roberts has placed in the top 10 in four of this fall’s events. Junior Eric Penland closed with a score of 1-over 72 to finish with the second-best score for the Lions and landing in a tie for 12th place. After entering the final day in the top 10 with a 72 and 69, Hebrink shot a 78 on the third day, but still finished in the top 25 at 219. 

“This tournament had a lot of the top-ranked teams, and it was a good opportunity for us to compete with them head to head,” said Hebrink.

Piedmont’s total score of +17 (869) finished behind tournament winner Emory University (859), Oglethorpe University (864) and Huntingdon College (866),

—Leandro Forero

Men’s Soccer
On the heels of a 3-game losing streak, the men’s soccer team wrapped up the regular season with a pair of wins on a road trip to Mississippi, defeating conference foe Belhaven University 1-0 on Oct. 22 and Mississippi University for Women 2-1 on Oct. 23.
Sophomore Jason Aussin scored both Lions goals against Mississippi, finishing the season with a team-leading 8 goals.
Against Belhaven, freshman Cristi Pascaru netted the Lions’ lone goal in the shutout.
“I’m impressed (with the two victories) but not surprised,” said senior Victor Canas. “I know this team has what it takes to compete and we showed it this weekend.”
The team wraps up the regular season with a 3-8-5 record, 2-3-1 in the CSS. The Lions will open conference tournament play on Oct. 26 hosting a rematch against Berea, who played Piedmont to a 3-3 tie earlier in the season.
“After winning both games, our mindset is better,” said Canas. “We are ready to play Berea at home and move onto the semifinals.”
—Chad Hall

Volleyball

Piedmont’s volleyball team dominated College Conference of the South foe Wesleyan College 3-0 in Macon, Georgia on Oct. 24.

That’s the second match win and sixth set win in a row for the Lady Lions (6-18, 6-8 in the CCS), after defeating LaGrange College 3-0 on Oct. 22. Against Wesleyan, Piedmont was leading 24-15, but the Wolves trailed three straight points before the Lady Lions finished the set 25-18. In the third set, the Lady Lions got off to an 8-2 start, but the Wolves didn’t back down. Despite losing 13-5, Wesleyan continued to fight, pulling within three points at 18-15. Piedmont finished them off with 25-20 lead to take the 3-0 victory.

Sophomore Jessica Sconyers led the team with 7 kills and 3 blocks, while sophomore Brooklyn Gunn had 19 assists.

The Lady Lions will wrap up the regular season on Oct. 29, traveling to Berea, Kentucky to face Berea College and Huntingdon College.

—Jordan Burch