Rain poured over campus

Rain Poured Over Campus

By JANIE HARRIS

Editor-in-Chief, News Editor

This weekend, the National Weather Service issued a Flash Flood Watch and a Wind Advisory in Habersham County, on Fri., Oct. 2. Ending on Mon., Oct. 5, the watch warned Habersham residents that the weekend would bring potentially historic and life-threatening flash flooding and wind gusts up to 40 miles per hour.

After days of continuous rain, Piedmont’s Demorest campus felt a small portion of the impact of Hurricane Joaquin. By mid-day Sunday, the area saw more than five inches of rain over the past seven days, according to the National Weather Service.  

According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, more than 12,000 Georgia Power customers were without power Sunday morning. Piedmont also faced power outages throughout the weekend. These outages were caused from a variety of fallen trees.

Also, according to an email from Dean of Student Engagement Emily Pettit on Sun. Oct. 4, the storm caused an issue with the water reserves in Demorest, causing students to be asked to conserve water for 24 hours. 

The weather also pushed the college to cancel the annual Freshman Family Day.

Pettit wrote in an email on Oct. 1 to the parents planning on attending the event, “We have been carefully monitoring the weather all week. Unfortunately, we have made the difficult decision to cancel our block party based on the rain filled forecast for Saturday in Demorest.” 

The weather had residential life encouraging students that were traveling over the weekend to watch the hazardous conditions. 

Director of Residential Education Mark Jestel wrote in a text message on Oct. 2, “The flash flood warnings [were] being monitored very closely.” 

For more information about the warnings and amounts of rain, visit weather.gov.