Homecoming Recap

Capturing the celebratory events of the groundbreaking ceremony that started Homecoming at Piedmont University on Saturday Oct. 22. PHOTO//LIZ CARTER

Matt Kodrowski, Online Editor

Piedmont University celebrated its 125th year as an institution at its second annual Homecoming on Saturday, Oct. 22, 2022.

The Office of University Advancement organized all of the celebrations. From food vendors to an open meeting by the Alumni Association Board of Directors, to live music, Piedmont indeed showed out.

Festivities started with a welcome breakfast for new students as well as alumni. There was also an open meeting by the Alumni Association Board of Directors that was immediately followed by a groundbreaking ceremony of the Alumni Plaza on the Quad. The stone slab centerpiece is set to feature tribute pavers for Piedmont alumni, students, faculty, staff and friends. The new Alumni Plaza is also planned to feature a water display and seating in the quad.

Registration will be required for the celebratory luncheon in the Commons following the ceremony of Alumni Award recipients and Sports Hall of Fame inductees. Tickets for the upscale luncheon will be $15 per person.

The 125th-anniversary celebrations began at 3:30 p.m. at the Arrendale Amphitheatre with live music from The Shoal Creek Bluegrass Band. Vendors were in attendance from Chick-Fil-A, Subway and Georgia Concessions Barbeque, in addition to desserts from Cowboy Bob’s. There was also a beer and wine tent present for individuals 21 and over with a valid I.D.

“They had a lot of good snacks and some fun games,” said Angelica Lux, freshman Sports Communications major at Piedmont University. “There were really lovely and friendly people there. They were very welcoming!”

“It was really interesting to meet all these alumni who were here throughout the years,” says senior graphic design major, Samantha Carvallo.

The Alumni Association was found selling merchandise to commemorate the day. They also had free giveaways that everyone could enter.

Homecoming concluded at the Swanson Center Mainstage with the final performance of Peter & the Starcatcher, which has been presented by the Piedmont Theatre Department since Thursday, October 20.

Piedmont University Homecoming is an opportunity for students, faculty, staff, Alumni, parents and friends to boast pride in the institution and celebrate school spirit. This second annual celebration was one of many to come, as Piedmont celebrates 125 years of education and community.